top of page
  • Writer's pictureDr. Jennifer Hintzsche, Ph.D.

When to See an Endocrinologist for Fertility Advice

If you are struggling with fertility issues, you're likely experiencing ALL the emotions. Frustration, envy, pain, guilt, anxiety, helplessness, and this is probably before your feet even touch the floor in the morning.

It can be a raw and lonely experience that may leave you feeling lost and unsure where to turn for support. So do you see your OB/GYN or head straight to a fertility specialist like a reproductive endocrinologist… and what's the difference between them anyway?

Here we break down the two areas of medical practice and explore when to see an endocrinologist for help with your fertility journey.

Reproductive Endocrinologist vs. Regular OB/GYN

An OB/GYN focuses exclusively on female reproductive health. They may treat issues with menstruation, menopause, contraception, pelvic organ, and urinary tract problems and support women through pregnancy and childbirth. An OB/GYN is generally the first doctor you will see on your conception journey.

Reproductive endocrinology is a subspecialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology. After completing the four-year OB/GYN training, a reproductive endocrinologist undertakes a further three-year fellowship focusing on the biological causes and treatments for infertility, making them specialists in this field of medicine. A reproductive endocrinologist can evaluate, diagnose, and treat infertility issues in both women and men, allowing them to help a couple holistically.

When to See an Endocrinologist